We’ve always believed that form shouldn’t just follow function, but be inspired by it, and that good design emanates from a harmonious expression of both. Where fly reels are concerned, the basic parameters - weight, retrieve rate, line storage, drag torque, ergonomics - each must be balanced against the other to build a high-performing reel, and collectively provide the basis for the design. By far the most important of these are weight and retrieve rate, because the ratio of the two define what is considered a large arbor reel.
Expressed simply, think of these two parameters as retrieve rate per ounce, and hence the Holy Grail of fly reel design is an architecture which yields the lightest structure possible for a given diameter, without sacrificing reliability and durability.
Enter the completely re-designed Speedster reels. They feature an enhanced spool machining technique, focusing material only where it’s needed - the reason why both are significantly lighter and higher performing than their predecessors. But importantly, the form, the styling of each, clearly flows from the same place; allowing the dimensions of structure and function to inspire beauty.
- Format: Super Arbor
- Materials: Machined 6061 Aluminum, Stainless Steel
- Finish: Hard Alox
- Drag: Sealed Conical Drag
- US Made, Idaho Built
- Do not remove the drag knob or the two-holed nut in the center of the drag knob for any reason.
- Always ensure the Gland Cap is tight, especially before using the reel the first time or after reversing the retrieve direction. Be sure to periodically check that the cap is on securely; it should always be firmly tightened by hand, do not use a tool. The Gland Cap should seat completely on the drag cylinder when installed properly.
- The drag system is meant to operate lubrication free. Do not use any type of oil or lubricant in or around the drag system. A small amount of WD-40 may be applied to the retrieve handle in order to remove any dirt build up between the handle and the handle shaft.
- Freshwater Use: Occasionally rinse your reel thoroughly under fresh running water and wipe the spool and frame to remove any debris or dirt build up. Be sure to wipe down the spindle on the spool and keep it free of debris.
Be sure to rinse the reel under fresh running water after every use in a salt environment. Occasionally rinse the drag by doing the following:
- Remove the spool, unscrew the gland cap and remove the red and silver clutch assembly.
- Rinse all components including the inside of the drag cylinder thoroughly with fresh running water.
- Allow all components to dry completely before reassembly.
Part Code: SPS-3+REEL-EMBER
Brand: Waterworks Lamson